What I have come to love about making homemade pizza is that you can put just about anything your heart desires on pizza dough, put it in the oven and 10 minutes later you have a fabulous culinary creation. Pizza doesn’t have to consist of plain dough, tomato sauce, cheese and possible some vegetables on top (or I’ve also heard that various meat products are fairly popular… 😉 )To prove my point I present to you my take on the anything pizza (with two sauce variations) tested on, approved by, and subsequently successfully reproduced by London 🙂
Spring Time Pizza
1 package Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough – plain, wheat, or garlic and herb – try to find a gluten free version!!
4-6 oz quattro formagio blend, usually mozzarella, fontina, parm, etc. – use enough to cover the pizza
1/2 onion, sliced
1 handful asparagus, woody ends snapped off and sliced to 1 inch pieces
3-5 marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
Handful raspberries, I’ve only used fresh but I think frozen would work too
Sauce to cover dough: Alfredo or olive oil and Pesto
1) pre-heat oven and prepare dough according to package instructions – I say this in case you use a different dough than the TJ’s or if you make your own!
2) Caramelize the onions in olive oil over low-medium heat while the dough proofs (sets, rises, rests, whatever), toss the asparagus in at the end, just long enough to turn bright green (3-5 minutes)
3) after the dough is ready, place the dough on a pizza stone or non-stick cookie sheet, spread your sauce of choice in a nice even layer on the dough
3) top with cheese
4) spread the onions and asparagus evenly on top of the cheese
5) finish with the artichoke hearts and raspberries
6) bake the pizza until the crust is golden and cheese is bubbly, usually 10 minutes
7) pull out, let set for a few, slice and serve!
You can absolutely tweak ingredients to suit your liking, I’ve added mushrooms and sundried tomatoes instead of the asparagus. Enjoy with any beverage you want – this recipe is so flexible, just do what you want!! Happy eating my friends
Photo cred: London