What does that even mean? PEA is the chemical found in chocolate that gives that sense of happiness and euphoria you get when you bite into a well deserved bar of dark chocolate. Always dark everyone, at least 75% cocoa for good levels of PEA and antioxidants! Ok, so what about little green peas? PEA is also found in peas! Peas are legumes and as such contain protein that gives us PEA somehow. Next time you need that PEA lift you can reach for my Happy Crunchy Pea Salad! Or a chocolate bar….
Happy Crunchy Pea Salad
1 bag peas – frozen, fresh, thawed, flash boiled
2 hard boiled eggs, diced/chopped
2-3 stalks celery, diced/chopped
8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 roasted red pepper (in oil) chopped or 1 jar pimento (they’re the same thing!)
1/4 cup lite mayo/veganaise/miracle whip
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (I use one with horseradish in it)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder, adjust to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
1) hardboil eggs – 20 minutes at a simmer, cool in ice water, peel and chop
2) while the eggs do their thing, pull out the peas, however they are, and let them start to thaw or flash boil them
3) in a bowl, combine the last 4 ingredients
4) add peas, water chestnuts, pimento, celery, and eggs
5) stir to coat
6) you’re supposed to let it sit in the fridge covered over night, I usually can’t wait and eat some right away! Even if the peas are still a little frozen….
It’s almost a healthy replacement for egg or potato salad, so bring it to your next potluck or BBQ! Perfect for the 4th of July 🙂 You can add whatever you like to this recipe as well, beets turn it a purple/red color. However you do it, it’s going to be yummy.
Happy eating my friends!