Welcome to 2012, foodie friends! 2011 was quite a year, but I feel like 2012 has some big things in store for all of us. So let’s get ready for that by eating healthy, taking care of ourselves, and feeling good! I definitely got off-track throughout the holiday season and I can feel it. But before we get ourselves together (food-wise at least!), a last look at some holiday recipes.
Smash and I were in charge of apps at the New Year’s party her family hosted. Of course we did some standard veggies with option of Brie or hummus.
Easy enough. The fun stuff came with the cream cheese red bell pepper roll, savory cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, and goat cheese baguette bites topped with herbs de Provence and honey (inspired by Smash’s French friends!) 🙂
Goat Cheese Bites
Goat cheese, choose your fave!
Herbs de Provence (try one with lavender!)
1) you can use the oven at 350 or just throw them under the broiler quickly
2) top baguette slices with cheese, herbs de Provence, and honey to taste
3) bake or broil till toasty and warm
4) take a bite and imagine the Eiffel Tower
Savory Cream Cheese Stuffed ‘Shrooms
Inspired by Mouthwatering Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients: (for 15 ish mushrooms)
8-10 oz white, brown, or crimini (baby ‘bellas) mushrooms, whole, cleaned, stems removed and saved
8 oz cream cheese
1 large shallot
1/4 cup(ish) Parmesan
Thyme to taste
Paprika to taste
Salt/pepper to taste
Prep: oven to 350
1) heat olive oil, dice shallot and add to pan
2) dice mushroom stems, add to pan when shallots begin to turn translucent. Cook toll the stems are nice and brown
3) while the shallots/stems work, combine the cream cheese, Parm, and spices
4) add the shallot/stem mixture and combine
5) use the back of a spoon to generously stuff each ‘shroom and place on a greased or lined cookie sheet
6) bake for 20 minutes until there is hot liquid bubbling at the base of each mushroom
7) pop one in your mouth while you arrange the rest on a tray for your guests!
Cream Cheese and Red Bell Pepper Crescent Roll
This recipe belongs entirely to Smash, so the credit belongs to her! I believe the recipe was taken from here Savory Parmesan Bites
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 small red bell pepper, chopped (or try roasted red peppers!)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
Prep: oven to 350
1. Stir together softened cream cheese, 3/4 cup cheese, bell pepper, and parsley.
2. Unroll crescent rolls, and separate each can into 4 rectangles, pressing perforations to seal. Spread 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on each rectangle. Roll up, starting at 1 short side, jelly-roll fashion. Cut each roll into 4 equal pieces, using a serrated knife. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle bites with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
3. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: To make ahead, place unbaked bites on ungreased baking sheets, and freeze 1 hour or until frozen. Place bites in zip-top plastic freezer bags; store in freezer up to 1 month. Place frozen bites on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
Well that was our fairly sinful app bonanza! It was a great night, as I hope all of yours were!
Looking forward to an amazing 2012! Stay hungry, Foodies.