I’m a blogger. As a blogger, I have some serious blog envy of smitten kitchen and joy the baker . I check these beautiful blogs daily for recipes, inspiration, and laughs. I’m often envious of Emily’s blog, Cheaper than Wisdom, with its witty name, heart-warming stories, paleo dishes, and spot-on observations. They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so here’s to you lovely ladies of the blogosphere!
On that note last night, instead of trying a Zumba class at my new studio before I taught my advanced flow at 8 pm, I looked in my fridge and behold: all the makings to attempt my version of smitten kitchen’s Spaghetti with Broccoli Cream Pesto – a wonderful dish where the amount of pasta equals the amount of broccoli! I made a few tweaks: almond milk instead of cream, 3x as much garlic, black and red pepper, and gluten-free pasta to equal less than the amount of broccoli. And it turned out just swimmingly! If I had had a lemon on hand to zest, I think that would have totally taken the dish to the next level. Note to self: never not have lemons. And maybe add line nuts.
Broccoli Pasta Sauce
1/2 broccoli, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and florets
1/2-1 small onion, diced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound gluten-free pasta
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
Red and black pepper to taste
Sprinkle of Parmesan
1) steam broccoli over salted water (to use for the pasta) for 5 minutes
2) remove broccoli, add pasta, prepare according to directions
3) strain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water, dump in a big bowl, rinse the pot, add olive or coconut oil and sauté onions at med/low heat till translucent, about 7 minutes
4) add garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds. Add broccoli, peppers, and almond milk and cook for a few more minutes at med/high heat
5) food process broccoli mixture till smooth and add to pasta, combine.
6) add pasta water until desired sauciness is achieved!
Yum, yum, yum. Enjoy!