Nate made his best chili yet this weekend for Easter dinner with my family. It’s honestly the simplest crockpot chili. And this batch we added a sweet potato and it was just the most perfect balance to his spicy chili. I took a back seat on the chili process as that is Nate’s hard won domain, but here’s the gist:
simple crockpot chili
1 onion, diced
2 jalapeños, seeded diced
1-2 Tbs Earth Balance
1-2 extra peppers, roasted, skinned, diced (use your favorite type for spice)
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 packet lawry’s chili seasoning
1 bottle of your favorite beer, he used Fat Tire here
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
Water to adjust
Optional toppings: diced red onion, green onion, Greek yogurt, cheese
1) roast your bonus peppers under the broiler for about 20 minutes turning so they blister on all sides. Let steam in a foul covered bowl for 15 minutes, the skins should slide off then dice them
2) meanwhile add the onions, jalapeños, and Earth Balance to to crock pot and turn it on high, let those work for 10-15 minutes
3) add everything else. Stir.
4) cover and let hang out on high for an hour then low all day till ready to serve, stirring occasionally. Viola!
But wait! There’s more! This chili was even better the next night. I saved the leftovers in the crockpot bowl and all I did was throw them back into the holder on low when I got home and they were hot by dinner! Hot and just begging to have some rich, thick, crusty beer bread dipped into the steaming bowls of chili goodness.
Oh yes. I said beer bread.
Note: both if these recipes call for roasted peppers, the process is detailed above. You can definitely do one big batch as this bread keeps really well, lasting as long as your chili does. Which, really, won’t be long at all!
roasted pepper beer bread
1 orange bell pepper, roasted, seeded, skinned, diced
1 pasillo or pablano or spicy pepper of choice, roasted, seeded, skinned, diced
2 1/2 cups gluten free flour like Bob’s Red Mill or regular flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Generous 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Dash(es) cayenne pepper
6 oz Mexican blend cheese, with a little reserved to top the bread
1 cup beer, Ranger IPA this time
1 large lightly beaten egg
8 tbs unsalted butter or Earth Balance, melted
Prep: preheat oven to 375
1) whisk all dry ingredients
2) combine in the peppers and cheese
3) stir in all wet ingredients until everything is moist and combined
4) place dough in a greased 9×5 inch loaf dish
5) top with cheese and bake for 35-45 minutes (depending on your oven, mine takes FOREVER)
6) remove and let cool for 10 minutes, slice and serve!
Pair it with your chili and a couple more beers. Watch GAME OF THRONES SEASON 3 EPISODE 1. Dinner is served. Date night complete.