Last night Smash and I had and impromptu dinner an wine night at her place. She prepared probably her favorite vegetarian dinner item along with a new recipe, both out of the “Cooking With All Things Trader Joe’s” cookbook by Deana Gunn and Wona Miniati. A fabulous little book that Smash received as a gift along with a TJ’s gift card – keep that in mind you need a gift for the cook in your life!
We both love this cookbook, while not always vegetarian, all the ingredients are found in one place (TJ’s, duh) and often meat ingredients are easily replaceable. The recipes are also very novice cook friendly, no special gadgets or experience needed 🙂 so please enjoy and have fun with cooking!
Our dinner consisted of these two delectable dishes that both use the TJ’s jarred mixed grilled veggie bruschetta in an unusual capacity: a cornbread casserole as a side and stuffed portobello mushrooms for a main item. Portobello mushrooms are a fantastic alternative to meat because they have a very substantial (“meaty”) texture and are very filling.
Corny-Copia Bean and Veggie Casserole
1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 3/4 cups Organic Pinto Bean (1 can)
4 oz Greek Yogurt Plain
12 oz Mixed Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta
282 g Cornbread (mix) – mixed
Preparation: Pre-heat oven to 350
1) Sautée onions in olive oil or butter until translucent, add garlic and cumin and continue to sautée for 1 minute
2) While the onions cook, prepare cornbread mix
3) In a bowl or bottom of the baking dish combine onion mix, beans (drained), and Greek yogurt (if you mixed in a bowl, now spread that mixture in the bottom of the baking dish)
4) Add the jar of bruschetta as a layer on top of the bean mixture
5) Finish it off by spooning the cornbread on top
6) Bake for 30-35 minutes
7) Let set and serve!
Black Bean and Ricotta Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
2 large portobello mushroom caps, cleaned (remove stem and any dirt)
1/2 cup canned black beans (or more)
1/2 – 1 cup ricotta (you can use fat-free, but I say use regular or low-fat)
1/2-1 jar Mixed Grilled Vegetable Bruschetta
Shredded or sliced mozzarella
Preparation: your oven is already pre-heated 🙂 can raise temp to 375 or 400
1) mix ricotta and black beans
2) place mushrooms on baking pan lightly coated in olive oil or Pam
3) fill mushrooms with mixture
4) add layer of bruschetta, don’t be shy
5) top with mozzarella
6) bake for 12-14 minutes
Serve these delights together! We enjoyed a bottle of Pinot noir, pick your fave from TJ’s. Thanks to Smash for a wonderful meal. Happy eating (and drinking) my friends!